Studying Mindless Eating: Helping Us Help Ourselves
With obesity on the rise in many western countries, researchers have tried to understand why we’re overeating. Despite the large volume of research, there seems to be no simple solution. On this episode, we speak to Natalina Zlatevska, Senior Lecturer in Marketing at the University of Technology Sydney, about how plate and portion sizes affect the amount we eat.
- For more information on Natalina’s research, visit her website
- The Small Plate Movement is an initiative to encourage people who want to be healthier and lose weight to reduce the size of their plates.
- Mindless Eating:Why We Eat More Than We Think by Brian Wansink
- Since 2014, food manufacturers and retailers have been voluntarily implementing the Health Star Rating System. Displayed on the front of food packages the star rating helps you to compare similar products.
- For more information on Nudge and choice architecture, we recommend- Nudge: Improving Decisions About Health, Wealth, and Happiness by Richard Thaler and Cass Sunstein
- Former New York City Mayor, Michael Bloomberg discusses a ban on sugary drinks