What’s the Beef with Fake Meat?
The plant-based meat industry in Australia is booming. Australians forked out $185 million for meat alternatives in 2020, and the industry is only set to grow from here. As more of us look to ditch meat, or eat less of it, there are questions being asked about the seemingly healthy alternatives. Many are highly processed to simulate meat, which raises the question: just how “plant-based” are they? How much bigger will this industry get? Are we headed for a world without meat, or is it just phoney baloney?
This week, Josh Green was joined by:
- Natalina Zlatevska, Associate Professor of Marketing at UTS Business School
- Hope Johnson, Senior Lecturer of Business and Law at QUT
- Parliament of Australia – Submissions to the Senate Inquiry into Definitions of Meat and Other Animal Products – August 2021
- Food Frontier – 2021 Plant Based Alternatives Product Labeling Analysis – July 2021
- Food Frontier – 2020 State of the Industry Report – December 2020